14 August 2011

Sleep

Remy has always been a great sleeper. He probably woke up to nurse a handful of times the first few weeks he was born and that was it. So, when he turned 4 months old and his sleep went right out the window, I was beside myself. What happened to my sweet baby who slept all night and didn't wake up until a respectable hour like 9 or 10? {I know this sounds crazy, but he also goes to sleep pretty late since we do too, so it's not like he was sleeping from 6pm to 9am or anything ridiculous like that} On top of all the not sleeping and waking up, he started having night terrors. Which, if you've never experienced your child going through those, than consider yourself lucky. Almost an hour and half into his sleep, he would, out of nowhere, start screaming and crying. I quickly realized that he wasn't just fussing because he was sound asleep and inconsolable during these crying bouts. They were definitely hard to deal with because the best thing you can do is leave them alone and not wake them up. So the Hubs & I would talk to him to let him know that it was okay but the whole time I would just bawl.

So what's a Momma to do?

Search the Internet for answers because that's where all smart folk go, right? I read things like he's hungry now because he's growing, he's too busy learning to roll over and sit up, he's ready for solids, night terrors are hereditary {great, its my fault!}, etc.

After countless nights of him waking up crying, or wanting to nurse 5 times a night I finally just listened to my own Mother and I just started to relax.  I know my baby boy is growing and he's adjusting now to sleeping in his own crib and rolling over and sitting up and all the new things he discovers everyday. It wasn't easy, but you just kind of get used to it.

Then, it happened.

Last night, Remy Daen slept for a little over 7 hours straight....with no night terrors or crying or anything. Did I sleep for 7 hours straight? Of course not. I woke up every 20 seconds to make sure he was breathing, but that's not the point. The point is, I just kept trucking along because that's what being a parent is all about. And then when you least expect it, your kid sleeps all night long.



Don't worry, he doesn't sleep in plaid shorts. This was just nap time.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...